Read. Write. Inc.
Here at Braeburn Primary & Nursery Academy, we use the Read Write Inc Literacy programme in Key Stage One, developed by Ruth Miskin, to provide a structured and systematic approach to teaching literacy. It is an exciting, interactive way to teach reading, writing and spelling and is used by primary schools to encourage fluency in reading, confidence in speaking and a willingness and enjoyment of writing.
The benefits of the programme include:
- Initial and on-going assessment tracking every child’s progress
- Children are grouped by ability so they learn rapidly at the right level
- Partner work means every child participates in the whole lesson
- The special ‘three reads’ approach ensures every child gains accuracy, fluency and a good understanding of the text they are reading.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using “Fred Talk” looking for “special friends”
- read lively stories featuring words they can sound out
- show that they comprehend stories by answering questions about the text
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in “Fred talk” and using “Fred finger spelling”
- write simple sentences
If you want to know more look out for our parent workshops or for more information please visit :
As a parent you can make all the difference to your child’s communication skills. Helping your child learn to communicate will help them develop good relationships, do well at school and be confident and happy. You can help your child more than anyone else as you know them best, care about them and want to give them the best start in life.